Monday, June 13, 2005

Book quiz

Got dinged. So here it goes:

++Total Number of Books I Own/ Have Owned: The "have owned" is what makes it tough. I know I've given away more books than I have in my possession currently. All told, I'd imagine it's between 700 and 800.

++Last Book I Bought: "Salt of the Earth" by Seewald/Ratzinger

++Books I'm Reading Now: See my reading list.

++Five Books That Have Meant A Lot to Me:
1) The Seven Storey Mountain by Thomas Merton - I read this book when I was deployed overseas with the Air National Guard for Operation Iraqi Freedom, and discerning a vocation to the priesthood. Living in the middle of the desert, reading about Merton's spiritual journey, so riddled with "spiritual" desert areas, I was very deeply touched and it gave me the final catalyst that brought me to the seminary.
2) The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis - Lewis brought me to the Inklings, especially Tolkien and his Lord of the Rings. This was the first of Lewis' writings that I ever read. I never even found the Chronicles of Narnia until later in high school.
3) What Jesus Saw From The Cross by A.G. Sertillanges - this book is a beautiful and devotional work that also serves as a good biblical/historical primer and a Holy Land travelogue. I bought it at my first Steubenville Youth Conference and it helped me get through the period of desolation that followed that spiritual high.
4) The Brother's Karamazov by Dostoyevsky - I relate in varying ways to each of the brothers in this book, even the bastard Smerdyakov. I love Russian literature ever since I picked up Crime and Punishment my sophomore year of high school. Upon reading this, though, I was floored.
5) Dubliners by James Joyce. There are tons more religious books that have influenced my life in profound ways. Yet my love of reading and writing has been no more influenced than by this stylistic genius. Joyce's writing cuts right to my heart. His symbolism, the power and adeptness with which he constructs so many perfect gems of writing is, in my opinion, unmatched in the world of great books. I don't always agree with his message, but he intrigues me greatly and makes me want to write. He shows me the power of the written word, and I've learned much about my own style and voice from him.

There you have it. Now, I'm supposed to tag five more people. I don't know too many people in the blogosphere yet. I don't seem to have many regular readers. So... I'm going to be polite, and simply pick on my friend Dave.

Enjoy!

1 Comments:

Blogger JMT said...

Thank you, JoeyG... now kindly inform the second half that I tagged him as well. I was gonna type Joe Squared on the blog, but I forget how to do the superscript 2.

6/13/05, 1:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home