Saturday, December 30, 2006

Clearing the Dust

There's a lot of talk going on all over the blogosphere about the legitimacy of Saddam's execution, and the Church's teaching on capital punishment.

I don't wish to personally weigh in on this matter. I will say this much:
1) I regard the Church's current teaching to be a development and clarification of the consistent tradition of the Church; however,
2) The expression of the current doctrine is somewhat obscure, and at least very different in tone when compared to the historical positions, esp. before Trent.

So, I think this is one of the most confusing issues that we deal with as Catholics, and within which there are many legitimate opinions to be held until a firmer/clearer teaching in laid out.

For anyone interested in seeing the current issue in (what is, I think) the clearest available way, please see Against the Grain. Good stuff, as always.

My final thought: may God have mercy on his soul, and have mercy on us all. It is a crazy world, and I don't envy those who have these decisions placed on those shoulders. As Catholics, though, we must remember that authority comes from God, and our states' leaders have the right to make decisions about these matters. We should pray for them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home