Sunday, April 24, 2005

A Bit of Spes for the Future

There are many things for which I am excited to see come about in the reign of Benedict XVI. Many of these things have received adequate media coverage: like the combat of relativism in the Western World, liturgical renewal, etc.

But one thing which hasn't been talked about much is the recovery and rejuvination of Latin in the Church. Now, please don't think I'm so foolish as to think Latin went away. Rome still uses it, I'm well aware. But when's the last time your pastor did? Actually, this last question probably isn't too hard to answer. In fact, I can probably answer it, not even knowing your pastor: Habemus Papam.

Fox News had for its headline that very Latin phrase when Benedict XVI was seen for the first time, on his balcony overlooking St. Peter's Square. In the past couple of weeks, the world has heard more Latin probably than in the entire previous decade. Between the three televised masses during the Papal transition period that included Litanies of the Saints, the proclamation of the Urbi et Orbi, and all the various rites and rituals that have so captured the attention of the world, phrases like "ora pro nobis" have become familiar even to members of American Protestant congregations.

Hopefully people catch on. I feel pretty confident that Benedict's pontificate will be marked by notably frequent use of this beautiful language. I think it would be a great thing for the average Catholic to recover a bit, at least enough to participate in a Latin Novus Ordo.

Something to hope for...
Sancte Hieronyme, ora pro nobis.

NOTE
I return to the Seminary this evening, so I will be away for a while from my instrumento computatorio. I will try to use the computers at school to blog, but my output will diminish.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home